Monday, June 15, 2015

On Hindsight


Click here to view excerpt from Ever After, 2013
It's a beautiful thing, time. It helps you separate yourself from whatever may have clouded your judgement at one point or another, remove self-doubt, or help you see your own work more clearly.

As I'm sure happens with many artists, my perspective on what I create changes. Sometimes new work comes easily, flowing from my head and heart and falling meticulously into place. Other times the process is harder, although the end result may still be (subjectively) splendid.

I recently came across a DVD of an evening-length dance concert I created in 2013 titled Ever After (link to an excerpt under photo). It was a breath of fresh air to be reminded of the process behind the finished work, to see the successes, and to acknowledge the moments I now know could have been stronger, or different. As we grow as artists and people, our tastes and frame of reference will change. But having had time to distance myself from my work, I feel rich. Blessed that I am able to do what I love and lucky that I've had years to continue studying, experimenting, training, growing and playing alongside dancers willing to dedicate their time and talent.

The message? If you are doing what you love, keep moving forward. Embrace and accept the challenges and roadblocks; they are what will make you stronger. Go easy on yourself when you make mistakes. As dancers, it's easy to get swept into a cycle of striving for perfection and feeling as though we never quite live up to it, but IT'S OK to stop and let yourself feel good for work well done.
Yes, there are things I'd do differently now. But if I could go back, no, I wouldn't change a thing. On occasion, I look back at my younger self and say "Good for you, grasshopper. Now just keep going."

So keep going, friends.
Stephanie Wonchala
Pulse Artistic Director/Choreographer

No comments:

Post a Comment