Friday, November 29, 2013

The Black Swan Challenge Week II

We're Gonna Need a Bigger Dance Bag...


Let me just say that the word "challenge" is no joke here, friends. This has been an uphill battle, both physically and logistically.

My joints? Stiff. My extremities? Bruised. My feet? Callusing. My muscles? Oh, so very sore. Earlier this week it was as if I was driving, trying desperately to reach the next exit on a gas tank that has nothing but fumes left. I was pulling every last ounce of energy that I possibly could from my fatigued muscles, commanding them to fire and getting a minimal response in return.

So far, I have taken different ballet classes, modern classes and a Pilate's class. While dancing, sometimes I feel as though I am getting reacquainted with an old, dear friend. Other times, it's more like bumping into an annoying relative at the store. You know, the one who always has on way too much cologne or perfume and makes the food nobody eats at family gatherings? They greet you with an awkward hug and proceed to talk at a feverish pace. You try to politely end the conversation, but they don't let you leave, asking you why you're still single and how come they never hear from you. Yeah. Like that. Concepts that were once familiar need deciphering. Positions that once required minimal effort take every bit of strength I can muster. Things that I was once working on perfecting, I am now starting back at square one just trying to execute. Why can't I just get my knee to passe??? Talk about a reality check.

Then, since I am working full time during the day and dancing in the evenings, I am having to get creative with my errands and household chores... I can wear this shirt again, right? It totally passed The Sniff Test... I know that we are all busy--I'm sure that there are parents out there wondering what I could possibly have to say about being short on time--but, when we make dramatic changes in our lives to accommodate whatever new demand, be it kids, pets, or a physical endeavor, it can be very tricky indeed.

I am adjusting to a lot of little things, as well. Like packing enough snacks for a long day and figuring out what to wear to classes everyday, i.e.: determining what still fits after all these years... and getting it all packed and mobile. Plus, as the holiday season continues to add another dimension to the demands on my time, I am working hard to stay ahead of the game.

So... Why am I doing this again? Well, at the end of the day, after all of the above is said and done, the feeling I am taking away is a wonderful one. I'm not sure how far I've come yet, but every day is a small accomplishment, and I am meeting wonderful people in the process. People that share my passion for dance, as well as the challenges of life and dancing/dancing and life. And, to all those dancers out there that sometimes find themselves pondering the whys and hows of their dancing as I have been, remember that warm, fuzzy, wonderful feeling you get from it, in whatever way it comes to you. Put THAT in your dance bag and... carry it.

- Brittany

P.S.:

Last week's theme song: Ready, Steady, Go - Paul Oakenfold

This week's theme song: Let's Dance - Billy Idol





No comments:

Post a Comment