Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Squeeze those thighs: an update



I'm going on 10 days in Fairbanks, nine of those spent dancing.

I've become more comfortable in Krenly's modern class and confident in the execution of phrases during technique classes. Distal initiation is a keyword I'll be utilizing.

As for ballet, I've been making little breakthroughs daily. These include revisiting exactly what my inner thigh muscles are doing whether in fifth position or first - squeeze, squeeze, squeeezing together - and ensuring that my ankles are 100% crossed in sous sous. These are some of the essentials dancers learn from early on, but it's the act of doing, of being present, and repetition that makes them second nature. I'm feeling wonderfully on my legs in class and have been extra solid in relevé, heels coming forward, forward, forward.


If anything, this trip has reaffirmed the importance of taking technique classes regularly. No amount of past dance experience or current dance video ogling will refine your craft like getting into a class. Any level of talent is nothing without hard work.

Classes have begun to focus more on this weekend's performance. The orchestra's conductor attended rehearsal today, and all three dance levels finally connected their Appalachian Spring sections and movements. I can't wait to actually perform.

In addition to the Appalachian Spring sections and jazz pieces, I've been in the process of setting new work on a duet. The instructors attended my rehearsal to provide feedback today, and some of the words Krenly used to described the work included "luscious, rich, impressive... use of space was brilliant." I still have to finish the piece and hone the performer's intentions, but receiving positive feedback from such a knowledgeable national adjudicator feels really satisfying. I'm more confident that I'm on the right track.

Working on a solo under Alice has been a great experience. Something about her - as I'm sure anyone who has had the pleasure of taking class from her - makes you want to work extra hard, and to get it just right. She is, hands down, one of the best instructors I've ever had. Her assertive feedback has opened my eyes to small details in her choreography that make a big difference (yes, it's ok to drop my shoulder blade when reaching up or open my whole chest to the side when twisting!).

I'm eager to get on the stage and bring all of these works to life with the sweet souls I've met at the festival. Until then, I'll be attempting to get a full night's sleep - morning core class comes too quickly!

xoxo
SW

In rehearsal with Alice
Appalachian Spring: Movement 6
Abberant chimera rehearsal with Emma and Heather



Read the first week of classes blog here.
Read the first blog in the series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment